31 October 2012

Week #1 & Montly Report + GROUND ZERO

Brace yourselves, this is going to be a long one...
Because I'm starting back at the beginning. Ground zero, my friends.

Not with my weight, though, don't get me wrong. But with my outlook, my inspiration, my fitness, my health, my life.  Everything is about to change.

So here's the thing: I haven't really done anything to improve my fitness or my weight. I've thought about it... I've been following my 1/2 marathon plan... mostly.  But if I'm truly honest with myself, I haven't really been doing what I need to do to reach my goals.

Recently I had a revelation: I am not happy with my life.  I'm not happy with my weight, with my nutrition, my job or the way I'm living my life.  And the only way for that to change is for me to make a plan, to stick to it, and to achieve my goals - to change my life.

And really, what 17 or 18 year old REALLY knows what they want to do for the rest of their life?  Sure, what I chose to go to school for may have been good for me then, but it's not what works for me now.  I'm not passionate about it, I'm not happy with it... and when I asked myself "would I be happy doing the same thing I'm doing but for a different company" the answer was no.  So that will be a big part of changing my life for the better.

Some of you may be asking: But what do you want to do with your life?  Trust me I'm still sort of asking myself the same question.  A few months ago I helped a friend at work change her life for the better.  After a little while she sent me a message to thank me, telling me that she couldn't have done it without me and she can't imagine what her life would be like if she hadn't made the change.  It was really a moment that I'll never forget, and one that helped me understand what I want to be doing.  I want to help people change their lives for the better - to live longer and healthier lives.  So something in the health / nutrition / fitness arena.  I'm just not sure what yet.  In order to do that, of course, I first have to change my life for the better - because how can I try to instil that kind of change in others if I haven't done it for myself?

To facilitate my change, I've developed a 3 phase plan (well, I've got phase 1 figured out! lol) that I will follow through until I have thoroughly turned my life upside down.  Let me tell you a little bit about it.

Phase 1: Set Up Camp
This phase is all about setting healthy habits and small, achievable goals that - over time - will build the foundations of my healthy lifestyle.  This phase begins November 1 and there is no set end time.  I'll know I'm finished with Phase 1 when I reach my goal weight.

Phase 2: Get Involved
This phase is about developing a community presence.  Following blogs, commenting on forums, going to community events and actually being involved in the health & fitness community. Can I say it again? Community. 

Phase 3: Expand Your Horizons
This phase is about 100% changing my life... and my career.  Signing up for college classes, continuing my education and helping people change their lives to live longer and be healthier.  Again, no set start or end date for this phase.

But I'm not concerning myself with Phases 2 & 3 right now, because I'm just getting ready to start Phase 1.  It's all about taking this one step at a time in tiny chunks - if I try to bite off more than I can chew, it won't work out for me... just like all the other times I've tried and failed.

So for Phase 1, I'm taking in month by month.  There are a few things that I need to do each month as part of this phase.
  1. Monthly Measures - taking my waist, hips & thigh measurements the first Saturday of every month
  2. Progress pics - taking progress photos the first Saturday of every month
  3. Weekly Weigh Ins & Weekly Blogs - every Wednesday (in this blog)
  4. Setting and achieving goals - 4 goals: fitness, weight loss, nutrition and habit
  5. A reward system that IS NOT food based
  6. Read a monthly book focusing on health, fitness, nutrition, etc.
All of these things combined will make up my Phase 1. I'll have a monthly fitness regime (which I'll take week by week).  I also have overall goals that I'd like to accomplish (across all 3 phases) which will earn me a special reward, too.

So, without further adeau, allow me to give you my November Goals, Weekly Weigh In (hey, it's Wednesday!) and my book of the month for November!  Saturday there will be another blog with my Monthly Measures & Progress pics.  I don't want to bog you down with too much in this blog (since it's already huge!) so I'll go over my reward system later.

Weekly Weigh In 10/31: 206.5
Firstly can I say: UGH! I knew I was feeling chubby, but I didn't quite think it had gotten that bad.  It IS shark week (as my bf calls it. haha) so I know I weigh a little bit more, but as a base, I suppose that's ok. And I can't really say I'm surprised. I knew I hadn't been doing so well, and I knew I'd gained some weight back.  All I can do now is look to the future and work extra hard to work that weight off!

November Goals:
  • Fitness: Stick to your 1/2 Marathon training schedule - don't miss a day!
  • Weight Loss: Lose 3lbs
  • Nutrition: Only eat 1 small piece of candy (or less!) per day
  • Habit: When you want a soda - reach for water!

Fitness Plan:
My 1/2 Marathon training plan.  Running 4 - 5 days per week (T TH F S SU) and "Walking Wednesdays" - a 30 minute walk with my man

Book of the Month:
Runner's World The Runner's Body: How the Latest Exercise Science Can Help You Run Stronger, Longer, and Faster (Runners World)
(link here)


There are a few extra things I'm doing that aren't specific goals.  For example: I'm trying to get better about writing down what I eat and tracking my food - it's not a goal yet, because I need to take things in smaller, bite sized pieces... so it may be a goal next month.  For now, it's just something I'm doing on the side.  I'm also trying to make healthier choices - eating veggies at every meal and drinking more water. 
 
And that's that!  I'll write another blog this Saturday to fill you in on the rest of the information, but for now... it's November tomorrow, and I'm anxious to get started!!

Stay Shiny!  & PS: HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No comments:

Post a Comment