17 September 2012

The Bruise-tastic Workout

What's black & blue & white all over?
Me, after I've been moving for 3 days.  Not quite the funniest one liner ever, but so true!  And no, I haven't been moving... not this weekend anyway.  Oh no, the move is yet to come, but there will be one!

Let me rewind.  My boyfriend and I have been living in a 1 bedroom apartment for the last 9 months.  We've been talking about upgrading to a 2 bedroom for the last 4 months or so, but we wanted to wait for him to get into the groove with his new job and there weren't any 2 bedroom apartments open in our complex.

So a few weeks ago we went into the leasing office and had a chat, told them we were interested and asked what they had available.  They had 3, 2 bedroom apartments coming on the market, and we could move in either October 16, October 5, or September 22. 

We were planning on taking the one that opened up October 5, but unfortunately with Garen's new job, his days off rotate, and that week wouldn't work for us.  And October 16th my best friend will be in town, so that won't work, either.

After some discussion we decided that September 22nd was the best time for us, even though by the time we decided we only had 14 short days to prepare for the move.  Garen has Friday and Saturday off, and doesn't work until 7pm Sunday night, so we'll be able to get a lot done.  Unfortunately he also has to drive to Tucson on Monday (after we move) and will be in Tucson for that whole week.  Which means I have to spend the first week in our new apartment alone.  It also means I have to do a lot of the set up myself, which sucks.

The plan is to move as much as we can on Friday, finish up on Saturday, then clean the old place.  Sunday we'll drive down to his storage unit (which is an hour away, believe it or not) and finish moving up the rest of his stuff - which includes the couch and the dining room table & chairs.  Yay for no more storage unit!  He's going to make sure all the technology is set up the way he wants it, and I'm going to finish cleaning our old apartment, then Monday he's off to Tucson and I get to spend my week setting up the rest of the apartment.

Moving, however, is a GREAT workout.  I actually really enjoy it, even though it's a huge pain in the ass.  We're not moving far - just a few hundred feet away, but we are moving to an upstairs apartment, so that's a little bit of an extra workout for us.  I'm not worried, though! I'm excited!

I can't wait to see how many stairs I climb by the end of the day!  My FitBit will tell me, which is super neat.  I bet I get a whole bunch of steps in that weekend!

This week, however, is going to be a challenge.  We can't really "pack" because we don't have a lot of boxes, and we're going to be so close that it doesn't make sense to box everything up and then unbox everything once we get over there.  Which means the apartment is in chaos until we can start moving things over on Friday.  It's just something I'll have to deal with.

Oh, and I'm going to make curtains! I'm really thrilled about that.  Maybe I'll do those the week that Garen is in Tucson, then it can really feel like home when he gets back. I'd love for it to all be done so he doesn't have to worry about any of that.  Plus, he'll be more motivated to clean since he'll want to contribute in some way.  He's cute like that.

Other than that it's been pretty normal. I've been getting my workouts in - I did 4 miles around the block on Saturday which felt awesome.  I probably won't do as many this week or next week since I'll be dealing with the move, but since that involves a lot of heavy lifting and steps, I'm kind of counting it.

Stay shiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment