10 September 2012

September Update

It's that time again!
Time for an update!  Things have just been so crazy and intense that I haven't had a whole lot of time for blogging, which is really a big bummer.  I'm going to do something about it, though, yes I am!

Ok, so I've been reading NerdFitness religiously. Steve's most recent post opened up my eyes to a few things that I thought I had overcome, but it turns out I really haven't.  I've slipped back into some habits that I need to, once again, check.  Mainly, biting of more than I can chew.

I'm the type of person who thinks you have to go hard or go home, so I take on a lot at once... like, way more than I should.  Then, when I fail (naturally) I get upset and I don't want to try again, because it didn't work the first time, so why should it a second or third time, ya know?

Anyway, moral of the story is that I'm once again having to check myself and slowly transition into things and not take a bigger piece of the pie-o-life than I can handle.  There's a lot I want to do... I just have to be patient.  Not one of my stronger points.

Work has just been nuts.  I feel like we're constantly going a hundred miles a minute and it makes it really hard for me to want to do anything when I get home other than sit in a dark room with my eyes closed doing meditative breathing.  I really think working out would seriously help with that stress, but as I'm sure some of you know, it's so hard to get back into the groove once you've fallen off the dance floor.

I'm resolving that problem today, though. Yes, TODAY! That's right!

So here's the deal, I have to start training for my half marathon in just about 2 weeks. September 24th is the day I begin! Then for 10 weeks, I'm half marathon training bound. Race day is December 3.  My goal is simply to finish - preferably in under 3 hours, but we'll see. I just want to cross the finish line.

To gear up for my training, I first need to get back in the habit of actually training. Yeah. I've been bad (with working out - my eating's been great!).

Monday, Wednesday, Friday & Saturday will be my workout days for the next 2 weeks.  I've set a modest goal of 30 minutes of fitness on Mon, Wed & Fri, and a full hour on Sat.  Preferably doing some kind of yoga.  I can always do more, but I can't do less!

But I have more than just fitness goals.  Again, I'm starting small, making small changes (not changing 50 billion things at once, right Steve!).  But here they are:

September Goals:
Workout for (a minimum of) 30 minutes, 3x/week (Mon, Wed, Fri)
Workout for (a minimum of) 1 hour, 1x/week (Saturday... or Sunday)
Eat a salad 5x/week

Pretty small goals, but one's that will make a big impact, methinks.  

While my eating has definitely been on point, I feel like I haven't been getting enough greens, so I'd like to up intake by committing to eating 1 salad 5 days a week.  My salads are pretty simple.  It's usually some kind of organic spring mix, a small handful of chopped walnuts, a small handful of craisins, some kind of protein (usually whatever is left over from the night before) and home made balsamic vinaigrette (oil + balsamic vinegar).  Sometimes I get crazy and just do the lettuce and protein & balsamic vinaigrette.

I haven't taken a look at my October Goals yet... but I know that my October & November goals will both be along the lines of my half marathon training.

Some of you who know me know that I love to write, and that I participate in NaNoWriMo.  Unfortunately that is something I will have to give up this year to train for my half.  I LOVE NaNoWriMo but as it takes place the entire month of November and requires a LOT of time, I just can't split myself in two.  I have to fully dedicate myself to one life changing event at a time, and right now my health is way more important than my dream of becoming an honest-to-goodness author.  Some day that will happen, but I need to first get healthy to ensure it can happen.

Also, I'm feeling the pressure of my 10 year High School Reunion sneaking up on me.  I've always said that I was going to be a bombshell when my HSR came around, because I was the nerdy, dorky girl that was kind of overweight (but not obese) that everyone picked on. And I do mean everyone.  So I really want to show them up - selfish, I know.  It's really not about them, it's about me.  This is something I promised myself years and years ago when I first gained weight.  

Unofficially, I want to be at my goal weight by the time the reunion hits - which will be sometime next summer.  June or July, most likely.  I can only control how much I weight I drop to a certain point, you know?  I have to be maniacal about my fitness and my food in order to get the best results possible, but I'm not going to push my body past what it should be.  

Meaning... I'm not setting a goal of reaching 110 pounds, when I know my body can't actually reach that.  And I'm not going to try to drop 3 or 4 pounds a week, because that's insane (for me).  A modest goal of 1-2 controlled pounds per week, hard work, sweat, good good... yeah, that's what's going to do it for me.  And wherever I'm at when that reunion hits... well, I know it's going to be a better place than I am right now!

I think once I finish my half I'll take a look at my long term, 6-month goals (bringing me up to the dreaded HSR).  Right now, I'm just concentrating on this chunk of the last few months of the year.

Stay Shiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment