25 September 2012

10 weeks to 13.1 miles!

In just about 10 weeks I'll be running a 1/2 marathon.
Gulp.  I'm actually really excited about it, even though I think it's going to be one of the hardest things I've ever done.  

The actual running 13.1 miles will be easy.... it's the training that's going to be hard.  We're talking early morning runs, split day runs, and long... long... distance runs.

Fortunately for me the weather in Arizona couldn't be nicer right now.  It's starting to cool off, the light is changing and fall is... falling into place.  It'll be chilly that first weekend in December when I actually run the race, but early morning runs will help prepare me for it.

This morning was my first training day of the 10 week cycle.  Now, I'm the type of person that likes to make my breakfast in the morning, sit down and really enjoy it.  I'll take 30 - 45 minutes to eat in the morning, so I get up pretty early as it is.  I work at 7am, so I usually leave around 6:40 and I typically get up around 5.

This morning, however, (day 1 of training and 2 mile Tuesday!) I got up at 4:15 am.  I had set my workout gear out the night before (because out of sight = out of mind!) so it was easy to get ready. Shiny new sports bra for bigger chested girls. Check. Heart rate monitor. Check. Running pants, lucky socks, shoes, shirt, head phones, iPhone armband, iPhone. Open DigiFit app. Get my music going. Throw my hair in a pony tail and I'm good to go.

I'm still not exactly speedy. I ran down my street and back (a little over 2 miles) in about a half hour.  I ended up with ~13 minute mile.  That's pretty good, if I don't say so myself. Especially since my only goal for this half is to finish. I don't care what my time is (though under 3 hours would be nice!) and I don't have any PRs to try to beat.  Simply finishing will be enough for me.

So I did my little jog.  My street was super dead that early in the morning. The only other people I saw was a pair of cyclists and a few passing cars.  There's a police station right in the middle of the route, so it's a relatively safe street, but even so it's not very well lit in areas and I found myself feeling not entirely safe that early in the morning.

Since it's just going to continue to get darker and darker in the morning, and I have to be at work at 7am, running later in the morning isn't an option.  This means that I'm going to have to get used to the dreaded treadmill. There's just nothing exciting about running in a stationary place for very long.  Even so, it's something I'm going to have to deal with because it's still close to 100 in the afternoon so running after work outside isn't an option for me.

So I plan to figure it out.  Thursday's will be split days since they have more mileage than Tuesdays.  For now I can still get up early and go running in the morning, for at least 2 miles.  I could do 4 miles (1 hour) if I really wanted to, but I'd have to eat breakfast on the run.  Not something I enjoy but doable.  Then in the afternoon I can hit the treadmill and rack up the rest of the miles I couldn't hit in the morning.  It would be great if I could run all my miles in one session, but I'm not fast enough yet and I'm OK with that.

The weekends will be easy, of course. It's just a matter of getting my butt out of bed in the morning.  I'm planning on replacing the Saturday run with a hike instead. I love hiking, and from now until May... 'tis the season!

In other news...
My boyfriend and I moved into a 2 bedroom apartment this last weekend.  We went from a downstairs to a 2nd floor (top floor) and it was hell.  We moved Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  He did a lot of work on Friday, but I started as soon as I got home (5:30pm) and we went until about 10pm. We decided we wanted to spend the night in our new place, so we moved the mattress over.  Which was probably a good thing since the majority of the heavy things needed to be moved on Saturday.

Saturday morning I hit up Starbucks and then had breakfast on our patio (now facing east and overlooking the pool).  I was up at about 5am and started moving by 6:30am.  We worked all day and into the evening.  We got pretty much everything moved over by around 5pm, and then the organizing began.  We started small, and the Garebear got most of the entertainment room set up.  It was after 10 when we went to bed.

Sunday was another early day.  I got up at 5:30, hit up Starbucks (again - mmmm coffee!) and had another delicious breakfast on our patio.  Then we had to pick up a U-Haul and drive 40 minutes to his old storage unit to pick up the rest of his stuff... including a large sofa, large-sized coffee table, huge bean-bag chair, 3 bookshelves, boxes of books & DVDs and the dining room table & chairs.  Whew!

After we got it loaded up onto the truck we drove 40 minutes back home... and unloaded it.  Getting the sofa up the stairs was probably the hardest part of all of it.  It was RIDICULOUS.  But we did it! Yay!  We finished getting the last of our things from the old apartment and cleaned up the old apartment by 3pm.

Poor guy had to work that night (at 5:30) so he just relaxed for a while.  But me... oh no.  The apartment was in utter chaos.  Things EVERYWHERE. I needed it to be more organized. Put away. Clean.  I'm just that way.  It was driving me batty.  So I sat still long enough to eat and was up until 10pm again that night cleaning and organizing and setting things up.

By the end of the weekend I had the kitchen set up 95%, the living room 95% set up and the dining room 50% set up (a lot of the boxes are still in there).  Last night I was able to set up my closet.  I would have done that first, but maintenance had to fix something in there (as well as a few other misc. items.

My plan is to have 95% of the apartment put away and organized by Saturday morning.  Garen is in Tucson for work all week (bummer!) and he's super bummed about not being able to help, but I'm leaving him plenty to do. Bwa ha ha.

I'm also making curtains!! I bought the fabric yesterday. I'll be sure to post pics of the new place once we get it all set up. Especially the curtains, which I'm super excited about.

And... that's the update!  Stay shiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment