18 August 2012

Pure Paleo Week 1


Initial thoughts: This is going quite well...
My first week of Paleo is nearing an end and so far, so good!  I've been fuller longer (which means I haven't been snacking... like, at all) and I've been eating way healthier than previously.  I haven't eaten out at all the last week - everything I've eaten has been made at home.  Plus, they've all been real foods.  Real, whole foods.  True, they're not necessarily organic and I can't afford grass fed protein, but I do what I can.  Most of my protein is organic, which is better than the alternative!

My knee hasn't bothered me at all in the past week, either.  Normally it's achy or sore but not this week!  And I've had WAY more energy, which my poor boyfriend has to then deal with after he gets home from a long day at work.

I've also been working out more consistently.  I've done 3 workouts this week, all of which were hard core strength routines.  I suppose that I'll have to wait a few more weeks to see if I'm truly "consistent" but for now I'm counting it as a win.  I'm not working out today, because my muscles need a rest, but I sure will tomorrow!

I'd love to take a cross-fit class, too, but I'm not quite there yet.  I've been looking into them and they're not terribly expensive. I could probably afford one, but physically I don't think I'm ready.  I need to get back in the routine first, and I'd like to improve my fitness a little bit before I attempt it.  Plus, I've got half marathon training that I have to start at the end of September, so that should keep me busy through the beginning of December.

I've also noticed my weight has started to go down.  When I decided to go pure Paleo, my weight had managed to creep up to 202 pounds. YUCK! I swore I'd never be above 200 again, and while my weight has fluctuated over the last several months and gone up to 198, it has never crossed 200 until these last few weeks.

Well, I'm pleased to report that my weight is now down to 196.5 - yeah!  Now, do I actually believe that I lost almost 6 pounds in one week? No, that would be silly.  I'm pretty sure that the majority of my weight loss is due to the fact that I'm not eating gross processed foods and so my body is balancing out its water weight etc.  Do I believe that I lost a few pounds? Sure!  But I'm attributing most of it to a balancing act.

I am curious, however, to see what next week will look like.  I'm hoping for at least a 1 pound loss - that would be so great!

Regardless, I feel better and that's whats important!!

A lot of people ask me what I eat on Paleo.  Don't you get bored? It's just meat and potatoes, right? Ancient man didn't have access to a lot of the stuff we do now, so what do you eat? 

Well, below are a few examples of my Paleo meals:
Grilled chicken & baked Brussels sprouts


Baked chicken & asparagus (the coating is spices & coconut oil)


Czech meatballs, zucchini pancakes & kalamata olives






Here's a personal favorite, I made it yesterday.  It's basically a chopped salad, with a spicy dressing twist.  (Sorry for the all centered layout - I don't have the patience to try to organize it otherwise haha)
mmmm spices!

Add your olive oil & mix!

let it marinate!
chop these!

mix it up!

add your dressing


mix some more!
Dinner! with some meatballs, of course.


I've also been eating:
mashed up for faux-tatoes!

Czech & Chirizo style meatballs

Home-made Paleo Peanut Butter cups!

So, there you have it.  I haven't been starving.  In fact, I've been eating quite well.  That doesn't include most of my meals, of course.  I make baked bacon at least 3 times a week, and I'll have scrambled eggs with veggies or something else delicious for breakfast.  Dinner and Lunch are usually left overs.

Now, Paleo for my boyfriend hasn't been nearly as enjoyable.  He doesn't like a lot of the things I like (and I'm not terribly picky) so feeding him has been interesting.  He doesn't like faux-tatoes (made with cauliflower) or most of the veggie dishes I make.  I didn't bother getting him to try the chopped salad, because it's mostly onions and he is not a fan.  So I've been making him salads with the meat (which he has loved) and that's been going over pretty well so far.  Unless I make something simple like broccoli it's iffy as to whether or not he'll like it.

He does always try it, though, so kudos to him for that.

I've been trying to motivate him to lead a healthier lifestyle, and I can't say whether or not it's working.  I think that the only thing that can really motivate him to truly make some drastic changes will be my results.  Now, granted, he eats pretty darn healthy.  Pretty much whatever I make him when he's at home (I do pretty much all the cooking) and he tries to make healthy choices when he's out and about, for which I commend him.  He has a gym membership, but he's not really that into working out.  He needs to be more active, but I don't want to push him so for now I'm going to let it be.  As he notices my results I'm sure he'll want to have similar ones and will make more solid changes to his routine.

Plus, he just started a new job, so he's kind of stressed and very drained at the end of the day, and I don't want to add to that stress or make him feel bad about himself.  I only want him to be healthy so he can live a long, adventurous life with me.  =)

Anyway, that's what's been going on this week.  I'm going to continue eating Paleo (starting my 30 day meal plan on September 1) and working out, for sure doing my strength routines because that's the best way to build muscle and drop fat.

Oh, also, if you're interested, I've been making the majority of my Paleo meals from the following two books (I highly recommend them!):

Stay shiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment