27 June 2012

Two-Mile-Tuesday and "Caitlin"

Tuesday's are officially Two-Mile-Tuesdays.
When I look at my training plan for my 1/2 marathon, almost every Tuesday (with the exception of one) are 2 milers. So it's only natural that I dubbed the weekday "Two-Mile-Tuesday".  I kinda like it.  It's catchy.

So last night, Tuesday, I hit the gym and ran my 2 miles.  Well, I ran most of my two miles.  I'm still at a 15 minute per mile pace because I still have to walk part of it.  But I did also add some intervals into my 2 miles, which shook things up.  I have to say though, I'm not a big fan of running on a treadmill.

I work out (train!) in my apartment complex gym, which is... better than most.  We have 4 relatively new treadmills, a strength training combo machine (4 machines in one), 2 ellipticals, 1 ski machine, 1 exercise bike and a complete set of dumb bells. There's even an exercise bike and adjustable step.

It's less than 2 minutes from my apartment, air conditioned, open 24 hours and generally pretty empty.  There is only one downside to my apartment complex gym: some of the people who go there.

There's this one girl who we'll call Caitlin (she looks like a Caitlin), and she just irritates me.  She's a pretty thin girl, but she has a gut, like she drinks too much soda & alcohol.  I can tell that's the spot on her body that she hates and the spot she wants to loose from, and I feel for her, because I know how hard it is to loose weight...but I just can't like her.

Every time she walks into the gym she immediately goes straight for the TV remote (there is one, wall mounted TV in our complex gym).  As soon as she finds it she changes the channel and turns the TV way up - regardless of who else is in the gym.  She doesn't ask anyone if they're watching what was on TV, or if it's alright if she bogarts it, she just does it.  

And there's the matter of her "work out's" - I wish I could call them that.  I mean, kudos to her for getting off her butt and moving, but she just phones them in, and her form is AWFUL. I wanted to correct her so badly yesterday. She was doing crunches, bent over rows and over-head presses and I just cringed watching her.

Now, I'm not what I would yet consider "fit". I'm not thin, I'm not even just overweight and I'm certainly not a trainer, but I've worked with enough trainers and I've been doing this long enough to know proper form. And this girl doesn't have it.

Here is my hope: that she'll notice that I'm awesome - that I work hard and I have great form and I push myself, and she'll as for my help. I don't think it will happen, and I certainly don't expect it to... but I wish it would.  For her sake.

And for some motivation today I bring you my favorite site.




No comments:

Post a Comment