25 June 2012

Long Slow Distance

It's shaping up to be an interesting Monday.
My alarm didn't go off this morning, so I woke up 45 minutes late.  Awesome, I know.  Good thing I normally get up 45 minutes earlier than I need to. And I'm super, super tired. I mean, we're talking narcolepsy tired. I could honestly pass out at my desk right now.  Really, I could.  Don't tempt me.  I have about a billion things to do at work this week, and next week I'm only in the office for 2 (very busy) days before I fly to MN to be with my dad when he has surgery on his shoulder (torn rotator cuff).

But I'm not here to complain.  And I'm not making excuses. I'm just... tired.  And thinking of all the stuff I have to do is making me even more tired. I'm thinking of calling it an early night tonight.  And that makes me happy, not tired.

Let's talk about this weekend: It was interesting. My boyfriend was in Kingman with his family all day Saturday and half the day Sunday. Here's how my weekend went:

Saturday - got up early (5:30) and picked up our Bountiful Basket, went to the grocery store, got home, unpacked everything, reorganized the fridge, cleaned the apartment, did laundry, made salsa (tomatillo & poblano), had breakfast, played WoW, watched Season 7 of TBL (because I haven't seen that season), berated myself for not working out.

Sunday - got up at 5:15 for a run (later than I would have liked), go ready, went outside, cursed the humidity (it was seriously humid), jog/walked around the block (4.14 miles), almost threw up, got home, showered, had breakfast, watched Season 7 of TBL, ate Sushi when the boyfriend got home, played WoW, watched more TBL, made dinner, passed out.

But I also ate way more than I should have, and not necessarily great stuff, either.  I did really poorly on my nutrition this weekend, and I know I'll pay the price for it later.  I just don't get it.  I do really well for a long time, then I just... totally and completely crap out. I know what I'm putting in my mouth is something I shouldn't be eating, but I do it anyway.  All thing's considered, though, it could have been much worse.

And I can do better. I can do so much better. So I'm going to work on that.  At least I know there's a problem, right? 

Hey, bright side: 4.14 mile run! Yeah! I decided to try my hand at a LSD (Long Slow Distance) run, so I went around the block. Seriously, our blocks are big. haha. Unfortunately the Running God's were not looking favorably upon me on Sunday morning.  In Phoenix, 10% humidity is a freakin' lot.  I don't know how humid it was Sunday morning, but it was enough to feel oppressive, which is saying a lot for where I live.  When I stepped outside and saw the heavy clouds and scattered showers in the distance I thought "well, maybe it won't be so bad.  maybe it'll dissipate as the sun comes up..." Nope!

So it stayed humid the whole run.  I accidentally hit "airplane mode" on my phone very early in, and unfortunately that disconnected my HRM to my phone, so I jogged for about a mile and a half (straight - which is a huge deal for me!) without getting an accurate reading.  So my calories were off and my workout was off, but once I noticed I started a new workout, got my HRM reconnected and I was good to go.  Unfortunately by the time I noticed I was getting really weary from the jog and the humidity and the blazing sun, which was coming up and intent on cooking me like a fatty hunk of meat.

By the time I hit mile 3, I also hit my wall. I walk jogged for about half of the 4.14 miles.  I had to.  See, I almost threw up.  I am not the kind of person who works out (trains!) until they throw up. Throwing up is my least favorite thing ever.  So as soon as I started to feel sickly like that in my tummy I hit the walk button.  I hoofed it the rest of the way home, but I didn't feel better until after I'd showered and was laying on the couch with my breakfast.

And my pace? About a 15 minute mile.  That's with the walk jog.  Just the jog is probably anywhere from a 10 - 12 minute mile.  Which isn't terrible, actually.  I just need to work on getting to the point where I don't have to take walk breaks and I can just... jog.  That's my goal for the 1/2 marathon. I want to run it... not run/walk it.

Also, my new iPod armband is not quite as comfortable as I originally thought.  Turns out it's great for short distances (and I know some people would think 4 miles is short), but it chafes pretty bad and get's really itchy when it get's sweaty. So it looks like I'm going to be looking for a new one.

So I'm going to look into a "running weather" app. I know there must be one out there... there's an app for everything!

My plan this week:
Eat right - for real, I need to make up for my really poor weekend and find a way to carry my awesome week day eating habits into my weekends, too.  It's more than just willpower... it's boredom. I snack when I'm bored. I need to keep healthy snacks around all the time (especially when I'm at home) and find something to do to occupy my time so I don't WANT to snack!

Get some rest - even if it means my boyfriend making fun of me because I go to bed at 8pm, I am going to get some extra sleep this week!

Kick the Caffeine - sometimes I get extra tired in the morning if I have caffeine multiple days in a row... like I can't get going without it, comprende? Last week I had caffeine 4 days in a row, so that might contribute.  Time to kick it!

Train Right - I need to stretch more.  I'd like to incorporate yoga but I'm terrible at it (of course, I'll do it anyway).  Also: get some nice, short runs in there to build endurance and stamina.

Here's a random question for you all: I've been looking for a running track to do some speed training on, but I'm having a hard time finding one.  I could just do speed training on the street, but it's really hard to measure distance.  There are several high schools in my area, but I don't think I can just go use the track.  In the small town I grew up in, anyone could just go use the HS track.  It sucked, but it was totally open to the public.  Here, I'm not so sure, and I don't have a gym membership.  So - public track in Phoenix and.... go!

Stay Shiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment