20 June 2012

I Will Eat All the Foods! And Training for a Half

Yesterday was all bad.
Well, ok, maybe not all bad.  But it was pretty bad.  Nutritionally speaking, anyway.  I just wanted to eat everything in sight.  And I did... mostly.  I mean, I don't have bad things in sight, so that's not so bad, right? Except I had left-overs from Monday night's splurge... Chang's. I love Chang's, but today I just feel bloated and gross.

Probably because yesterday was super carb heavy.  I had a total of 267g of carbs, where I normally have between 150 and 170g.  The highest I've had was 201g.  What did I eat that was so carb-o-licious, you ask?

Well, let's see...
Breakfast was a delicious and super healthy smoothie. I had a total of 37g of carbs at breakfast.  Totally normal for me.  Lunch only had 43g, again, not bad.  Dinner, 59g.  We're only at 139 here, so I've got some carbs to spare.  It was my snacks that killed me.  My AM snack had 55g, my afternoon had 47g, and my after-dinner snack (remember I said I ate all the foods?) had 26g.  My snack's alone had 129g of carbs. A normal snacky day for me (with 3 snacks) only tops out at about 75g of carbs.

I don't regret it. Well, ok, maybe a little.  But I can't change it, so all I can do is move forward to change the now and the future.  And I have to say, I love that I've been keeping my detailed food logs.  It makes it easy for me to pinpoint what the problem is.

For example: before my food logs if I felt bloaty and gross and just ucky I wouldn't equate it to food.  Or, I might, but I wouldn't know what to change.  I'd just say, "oh well, ho hum I guess it'll go away."

But now that I've been keeping these logs I know what normal is for me, and what isn't.  So when I'm feeling bloated and icky and gross I can look at my food log and say, "Golly it looks like I ate almost twice as many carbs as I normally do" or, "gee I sure didn't get enough protein yesterday, no wonder I feel sluggish."  See?

In other news, I picked up a Kindle book called Runners World Big Book of Marathon & Half Marathon Training: Winning Strategies, Inspiring Stories and the Ultimate Training Tools (Amazon.com).  Long title, I know.  But worth it.  It's about $11 for the Kindle and it's great!  I'm already into chapter 3.  There's more to it than that, though.  I suppose I should give you the back story. 

See, I'm running a half marathon in December.  December 2nd, to be exact, and I've never run an official race before.  I can run a 10k (or I used to be able to) but never longer than that.  Recently I decided that I need to get back into it, and I stumbled upon this half marathon.  I thought to myself "Self, you put it on your 2012 to-do list, so hop to it!"  And hop I did.  I paid the 48$ fee, sealing my fate, and promptly had a panic attack because I am just NOT READY to run a 1/2 marathon!

I taped this to my computer at my desk at work
so I can see it and be inspired and happy always.




The first thing I did was pick up a copy of Runner's World magazine.  I love that magazine.  PS: this awesome picture to the leftis from this month's issue. It made me really happy. I wish the guy was a girl, but I still feel like, in spirit at least, that's me when I'm running. As I was perusing the mag I saw an advert for this book.  I looked it up online and viola.  It was mine.  Instant wireless download via my kindle. (I love my kindle).  I started reading it at lunch yesterday and I just haven't stopped.  It has everything and it's great for beginners or seasoned pro's who want to brush up on the basics.







I even took it upon myself to schedule out my training for the Half.  I used their schedule (in one of the appendixes) and set it up for myself on my own calendar.  I have roughly 24 weeks before the Half.  That seems like a lot and a little all at once.  The training schedule is 10 weeks, so here's what I'm doing:

I'm taking the next 3 weeks to build up my general fitness whatever way I choose.  Then, for 10 weeks, I'm going to do what I'm calling the Pre-Training Training.  I'm literally going to go through the complete 10 week training plan for the Half.  At the end of it, I'm going to run the Half... on the course of the actual Half Marathon.  Maybe.  I haven't decided on that one yet.  On one hand I want to know what my first time would be to see if I could beat it.  On the other hand... race day magic, you know? I might wait.

Anyway, then I'm giving myself 1 week to recover.  I'll do light cardio or whatever.  Then the Real Training begins.  I start the 10 week training with the previous 10 weeks already under my belt, and hopefully I'll be a little bit faster and a little bit thinner.  At the end of those 10 weeks, of course, is the Half.  

So I have my workouts scheduled for the next 24 weeks. It feels kinda nice.  It's really neat to think that I'm not just working out... I'm Training. That kind of elevates the whole fitness thing for me, really.  I can't quit, I can't skip, I can't give up... I'm Training.  You know?

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched about this Half Marathon. My goal is to just finish without injuring myself and to feel great.  I'm not looking to set a super fast time or to beat anyone. I'm just interested in finishing... and then eating and then passing out.

So that's the plan.  And the confession about the food.  And I don't think I'm going to reach my goal this week of losing 1 pound (I snuck a peak at the scale this morning and I was up 2 pounds, but you know, that changes from day to day. I just hope I'm not up 2 pounds on Friday!) but even if I don't that's ok, because I'll lose it next week for sure.  

Hard work.
Dedication.
Stay shiny!

No comments:

Post a Comment