30 May 2012

Well, That Was Fun.

I knew this wasn't going to be easy when I started it.  Once you fall off the horse, getting back on is one of the hardest things.

I did my first strength training routine last night, and it kicked my ass.  It was a relatively easy one, too.  Three rounds of 10 push ups, 20 Russian twists, 10 over-head presses (with 10 lb weights), 10 lunges and 10 squats.

I am proud to say that I did all 3 rounds, and my butt is sore today from those squats and lunges!  I am, however, a little embarrassed at how quickly I grew tired and how hard it was for me to finish.

Even before it started, I was fighting the fatigue.  It's hot. I don't feel like it. I worked all day.  I just want to relax.  I'm really into my book right now. I can do it tomorrow.

By the time I'd driven myself home, I had almost driven myself to sitting on my ass the rest of the evening.  But I am nothing if not persistent, and I will not give up before I even begin, so I did my workout, and I feel better for doing it.

I even think it helped my cold a little bit, because I don't feel even half as gross today as I did yesterday.  Fitness really is an amazing thing.

Tomorrow I do yoga for an hour. Not just regular yoga, but Bob Harper's yoga. That's a pretty intense work out in itself.

Then, Saturday, I do a cardio workout.  I'm going to get up early and go for a jog.  I have to pick up my bountiful basket at 7:30, so if I get up at 5 I have plenty of time to jog, shower, pick up my basket and have breakfast.

Sometime this week (either today or Friday) I'm going to cancel my fancy gym membership.  I don't use the facilities and I pay almost 100$ a month for it.  I can use a treadmill or exercise bike anywhere - even the fitness center at our apartment complex has them.

Eating wise, I'm doing pretty well. I'm PMS right now, and all I wanted all day yesterday was chocolate. Glorious, delicious chocolate.  I ALMOST caved and bought a pack of peanut M&M's.  I just had to repeat to myself: "I have willpower, and it says no, and it's stronger than the chocolate" over and over again.  It seemed to work out.

That doesn't mean that I won't ever eat chocolate. It just means that I can't have it every day and I need to be selective about how I reward myself.

This week we'll probably hit up Costco to buy some delicious meats.  They have amazing organic ground beef there, and I'm hoping to pick up some bulk of other things to keep my boyfriend interested in Paleo.  Of course, Whole Foods has some excellent prepared foods. I bought us cowboy burgers from there last week and they were pretty good. I burned them a little but we won't talk about that.

Speaking of the beau, I need to figure out how to motivate him.  It isn't my job to do so, but I hate to see him so bummed about this stuff.  This stuff being fitness and eating right.  It's hard to get started again once you've been out of it for a while, and he's not as self-motivating as I am.  He is self motivating, but it just takes a bit more for him.  Which is fine, I love him all the same.  It just hurts me (and, ok, maybe irritates me a little, too) when he get's so bummed about this stuff but doesn't do anything about it.  I know he's got a lot going on right now and that food & fitness aren't the only contributing factors.  I'm thinking of finding something nice to do for him to cheer him up, I'm just not sure what to do. 

We started watching "Weight of the Nation" and it scared us both silly, too. It's an HBO documentary (we get HBO GO) and it's terrifying and true.  Neither of us wants those horrible things to happen to us, or for either of us to be part of that gross statistic any longer (over 68% of American's are overweight or obese). 

For me, it's 90% willpower.  I know what I should and shouldn't eat.  I know how to develop my own fitness plans and how to balance that out.  It's just telling myself to do it that's the problem.  Once I get in the habit again, it will be much easier.  But for now, I'm going to have to drag myself kicking and screaming into a healthier life.  It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment