29 October 2011

Bountiful Basket & Pork Loin

So this morning I picked up my Bountiful Basket. WOAH. It had a ton of stuff in it that I wasn't expecting.  I was thinking I'd get a bunch of squash and cucumber and stuff.  Nope!  I got:
  • Bib lettuce (1 bunch)
  • cabbage (1 head)
  • celery (1 bunch)
  • tomatoes (2)
  • English cucumber (2)
  • strawberries (1 container)
  • kiwi (12)
  • pomegranate (3)
  • avocado (3)
  • apples like crazy (seriously, like 15)
  • black grapes (2 big bags -- think raisins but pre-shriveled form)
  • probably a few things I'm forgetting...
I also went to the store today and purchased a bunch of stuff for my Paleo challenge next month.  I got:
  • Dandelion greens
  • oranges
  • lemons
  • limes
  • grapefruit
  • lettuce
  • asparagus
  • red,yellow and green bell peppers
  • Zucchini
  • Caulinflower
  • Broccoli
  • Eggs
  • pork loin (!)
  • ground beef (lean)
  • A special meaty treat for my boyfriend that I won't name because he reads this
  • chicken breast
  • turkey bacon
  • deli turkey and deli chicken
  • probably a few things I'm forgetting...
Basically a crap-ton-o-stuff.  I had to ask for help when I bought the pork loin - I had NO IDEA what it looked like or where to find it. A really nice guy from the meat department helped me.  At first he seemed irritated - how could I not know where to find pork loin?! - until I sheepishly admitted to him that I'd never purchased pork loin before.  Then he seemed to think it was cute and not annoying.  I'm just a silly blonde girl with pigtails in a Darth Vadar shirt who wants some pork loin, please and thank you. Nevermind cooking it, I just need to buy it.  I'll cook it with the force.

I also spent my morning juicing said lemons, limes, oranges and grapefruit. I love my new juicer! Plus I had these really killer bottles that I saved from some grapefruit fizzy soda thing a while back. I knew they'd come in handy! Oh, my new steamer is fantastic, too, btw. I used it last night to steam broccoli. YUMMO!

the spoils of my juicing labor - lemon, lime grapefruit & orange.


I took a nap this afternoon and woke up really tired, so I made some french-press coffee.  It's my first cup of "Paleo" coffee. I used organic agave nectar to sweeten it (which I use instead of sugar anyway) and for creamer I used coconut milk.  Whodda thunk, right? it's actually really good.  Some crazy people on the sparkpeople website Paleo group are suggesting adding bacon fat and maple syrup to my coffee for maple-bacon coffee but... man... I just can't do it! I don't like bacon that much! and I absolutely loath the combo of bacon + maple.

I have some chicken marinating in sage, apple cider and grapefruit juice which I'll cook tonight and serve up with some steamed broccoli, and I'll probably go for a walk, too.  Tomorrow morning I'm going hiking with the BF so it should be a super burn kinda day!

Oh, and tomorrow is also weigh-in day, monthly measurement day, new program start day, goal setting day and monthly progress photo day. WOAH Big blog post tomorrow, and progress pics. eep.

No comments:

Post a Comment